Monday, November 1, 2010

prospectus

1. Introduce your topic and discuss its importance.

For my project I will be talking about obesity in the United States. My main focus will be how obesity is now affecting the youth of this country, but I will also talk about how is affecting the United States as a whole. The reason why I choose to write about this is because I find it amazing that although many issues linked to obesity have been reported, nothing seems to be taking place to decrease the rates of obesity, especially among children. I am aiming to not only discuss about the things that have lead our society to these serious health issue, but also to find out if there will ever be a stop to it.

2. Introduce your questions and a working thesis

Some of the questions I could come across are the following: how different are the rates of obesity among children ten years ago compared to today? How much higher/lower are the obesity rates among children compared to adults? Do these rates surprise you? What other health issues that could come along with obesity? What are some things that could be done to decrease these rates? Is children and adult obesity something everyone should be concern about?

Thesis- the standard American diet has become so poor that now the United States is suffering serious weight issues among both children and adults.

3. Discuss specific tools and sources that you will be using to conduct your research.

For this project I will be using subscription databases, the internet, news paper articles, and books. One of the books that I know can be very helpful is the Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. I will be looking into new paper articles in news papers such as the New York Times. The internet could also be of great help but for this particular project I will mainly be using books, newspaper and useful databases.

3 comments:

  1. I found your questions very interesting. It will be a good paper to read. I would suggest going to a doctor and getting his/her knowledge on obesity related issues. You might even get some vital information from a person in medical field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great topic! I feel that you’re going to be able to find lots of information on the subject because it is so widely discussed and argued. I also think the questions you proposed will help add lots of interesting juice to your research because they are very surprising and they have to do with children. I don’t know any sources off the top of my head but I know that Amanda is posting about obesity for her blog project so you and her might be able to help each other out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think this well be a good project .It relates to mine because it both based on peoples eating habbits. i will be looking foward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete